Is Juvederm Safe?
Belotero Treatment in Miami
Is Juvederm Safe During Pregnancy
With any cosmetic treatment, safety is the first concern. As always, it is important to consult with your doctor before deciding on a wrinkle treatment. Because JUVÉDERM® injectable gel is a non-surgical, in-office treatment, most patients experience minimal recovery and downtime.
JUVÉDERM® and JUVÉDERM® XC Side Effects
JUVÉDERM® XC injectable gel is generally well tolerated. Most side effects demonstrate mild to moderate in condition with a short lasting (7 days or less) duration. The most common side effects include, however not limited to, temporary injection site reactions like redness, pain/tenderness, firmness, swelling, lumps/bumps, bruising, itching, and discoloration.
Similar to any skin injection procedure, JUVÉDERM® XC poses some infection risk. Nevertheless, allergy testing is not necessary prior to treatment as hyaluronic acid fillers demonstrate generally biocompatible properties.
If you are considering treatment with JUVÉDERM® XC injectable gel, your healthcare professional will ask about your medical history. They pose these questions to determine if you represent an appropriate candidate for the treatment.
Dermatologists recommend you do not employ JUVÉDERM® injectable gel for facial wrinkles and folds if you possess:
- Severe allergies marked by a history of anaphylaxis or history or presence of multiple severe allergies.
- A history of allergies to gram-positive bacterial proteins.
- JUVÉDERM® should additionally not be used in patients with a history of allergies to lidocaine.
Your healthcare professional will tell you what to expect following treatment with JUVÉDERM® injectable gel. You should ask your healthcare professional when you may apply makeup after the treatment.
You should avoid the following for at least 24 hours after a treatment:
- Strenuous exercise
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Extended exposure to sun or heat
Exposure to any of the above may lead to temporary redness, swelling, as well as itching at the injection sites. Is swelling exists, you may require an ice pack application to the swollen area. Ensure you report any redness and/or visible swelling that lasts for more than a few days.
Additionally, report any other symptoms that result in your concern to your healthcare professional. You can also contact Allergan Product Support at 1-877-345-5372.
You and your healthcare professional should additionally discuss the following important considerations. Engage in this interaction to help avoid any unsatisfactory results or complications when you employ JUVÉDERM® injectable gel:
- As with any injection, patients using substances that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, may experience increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site. Inform your healthcare professional before treatment if you use these substance types.
- Considering laser treatment, chemical peeling, or any other procedure based on active dermal response after treatment with JUVÉDERM® injectable gel, there is a possible inflammatory reaction risk at the treatment site.
- Professionals should apply JUVÉDERM® injectable gel with caution in patients on immunosuppressive therapy, or therapy used to decrease the body’s immune response. These therapies pose an increased risk of infection during treatment.
- The Safety of Juvederm injectable gel during pregnancy, in breastfeeding females, or in patients under 18 years is not yet established.
- The Safety of Juvederm injectable gel hyaluronic acid dermal filler in patients with a history of excessive scarring (e.g., hypertrophic scarring and keloid formations) and pigmentation disorders has not been studied.
Your health care specialist should also warn you that JUVÉDERM® injectable gel’s safety and effectiveness to treat other areas than facial lines and facial folds (i.e. the lips) is not established in controlled clinical studies.
Persons of Color
The JUVÉDERM® injectable gel is the first hyaluronic acid dermal filler to achieve FDA approval. It demonstrates safety and effectiveness in persons of color.
Other treatments for dermal soft tissue augmentation include bovine-based collagen as well as other hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers. Aside from these treatments, additional options to correct facial folds and wrinkles exist on the market today. These include facial creams, chemical peels, and moisturizers for dry, damaged and sensitive skin, in addition to laser skin surface treatments.
You can discuss the treatment possibilities for your condition with a healthcare or dermatological professional.
JUVÉDERM® and JUVÉDERM® XC Clinical Study Data
JUVÉDERM® Clinical Trial Results
A clinical study was performed in the US to compare JUVÉDERM® Ultra injectable gel and JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus injectable gel with ZYPLAST® dermal filler (bovine-based collagen). In each study, subjects were followed for 24 weeks after administration with JUVÉDERM® injectable gel in one nasolabial fold (NLF) and ZYPLAST® dermal filler in the other.
For both studies, injection site responses displayed similar duration and frequency for the non-lidocaine formulation of JUVÉDERM® injectable gel and ZYPLAST® dermal filler treated sides. Responses exhibited usually mild or moderate in severity, did not require intervention, and lasted 7 days or less.
Safety of Juvederm from the Miami Center for Dermatology
The information that we provide in this article is no substitute for professional medical advice.
The Miami Center for Dermatology can help you improve your appearance by applying Juvederm safely and effectively. Our staff understands how troubling the sign of aging is for many patients.
For this reason, we provide Juvederm to help overcome this natural circumstance to excellent results! Our professionals can additionally help you by administering natural oils comprised products to counteract dirt and debris that clog pores.
For more information on the safety of Juvederm from the Miami Center for Dermatology, contact one of our caring and concerned professionals today! We can help you not only look better but feel better as well!